Tuesday, December 30, 2008

My memories of Lee Baxandall

We lost one of the great leaders in naturism a few weeks ago, when Lee Baxandall passed away.

I had only met Lee one time in person, but we have corresponded over the last 16 or so years that I ran the CO Digest newsletter. We didn't always agree on things, but I respected Lee's opinions, and I think he respected mine.

Lee Baxandall never shied away from controversial topics, and some of those topics probably cost him in the long run (an expose on Mardi Gras and sex in New Orleans, an ill-fated Naturist Gathering, ultimately canceled at the Reverend Moon's retreat are some examples). But Lee Baxandall was a shining star in bringing naturism to the forefront in the United States, at the same time that AANR was continuing to lag in the past. I truly think that if we had not had Lee Baxandall on our side, there would be no nude hotels in Palm Springs, or topfree and nude beaches in South Florida. For that matter, there might not be any nude recreation of any kind in the US.

Lee Baxandall was a pioneer, and his legacy will be one for the ages. I will miss him.

No comments: